New Beginnings at Stone Cottage Designs

New Beginnings

bag-no-props bag-props

Island Batik asked their Ambassadors to interpret the New Beginnings theme in any way they desired. The name of the January Blog Hop evokes so many ideas.

I had the privilege to use Island Batik's Coastal Mist Collection. These misty sea colors were perfect for interpreting the the theme with a New Beginnings Baby Bag for that precious new beginning.

Every new parent needs all the storage they can get. The pieced chevron panel was fun to make and creates four pockets on the outside of the bag by the placement of the comfortable handles. The inside of the bag sports another pocket and plenty of room to carry all those baby necessities.

bag-inside

See the New Beginning Blog Hop list below for more wonderfully creative ideas from Island Batik Ambassadors

To win a sampling of Island Batik Fabric, subscribe to Stone Cottage Designs-Quilt Blog AND leave comment.Β  (Drawing for fabric sample will be at the end of January) Already a subscriber?Β  Just leave a comment. If you want to enter to win some Island Batik fabric from Island Batik go to their blog HEREΒ and enter using the Rafflecopter.

New Beginnings Baby Bag pattern to come and one lucky subscriber will have the chance to win a free pattern for it as well! ( Drawing for New Beginnings Baby Bag will be after the pattern is ready)

109 thoughts on “New Beginnings at Stone Cottage Designs

1. Kathy E.

The Coastal Mist collection contains a beautiful array of colors! It's perfect for a carry-all bag for a new mom or dad. I am a new Bloglovin' subscriber and would love to create with this collection.

2. Constance

I really like the way the handles go into the body of the bag, creating greater strength and stability. While I don't usually spend my quilting time on totes, this will be one I will plan to make. It will make the perfect "project" bag to carry both quilting work and genealogy research binders, so I will need to make at least two. The Island Batiks set the pattern off beautifully.

3. Joyce Carter

The bag is so gorgeous and I love the fabrics. This would be a wonderful bag to carry all my "treasures" in. I am a new subscriber.

4. Pingback:

5. Nancy N

Great looking bag Barbara. I may not have a baby either in my near future (and hopefully not in my grandchildren's futures for a few more years yet), but I can envision a lot of other great uses for a bag with room and extra pocket space.

6. Pingback:

7. new subscriber - I dearly love Island Batiks and am always looking for wonderful ideas to use my "collection" I enjoy making tote bags and I think your pattern is beautiful. Especially how the chevrons make the outer pockets. Will be eager for the pattern to be published...and it would be fun to be one of the winners of the drawing ... Karen O in TX

1. Post author

Karen, I am working on the pattern- hopefully it will be ready very soon. I loved how the bag turned out. It grew 'organically', it is great when a plan comes to a good fruition.

8. Laura

Love the bag as does not have to be for new parents. having all those pockets is very handy. Love this new batik line as it reminds me of the pacific northwest which is where I live. I'm a new subscriber.

1. Post author

Thanks Jessica, Coastal Mist is a soft and calm collection! A real change from my usual bright and wild color choices. It is amazing what a 'change of pace' can bring about!

1. Post author

Vicki, I also love a bag with lots of pockets. I am going to make myself 2 more, one for a quilt tote, it holds a great deal, couldn't believe it, and one for a general tote!

9. MoeWest

I like the way the chevron panels are used for the pockets, and the fabric is so pretty! I just started following your blog with bloglovin.

1. Post author

Thank you Maureen! First time for me making this type of chevron, but not the last! Hint: it is all one panel, the handles make the pockets!

10. Betsy

This bag would be perfect for my coworker who is finally able to have a baby after 12 years of trying. I follow you on bloglovin and Facebook

11. Lori Morton

Absolutely AWESOME Bag!!! (could be a Crafty Bag too!!) Looooove the Chevron panel idea!!! Gorgeous fabric!! Love Batiks too πŸ™‚

Thank you for chance to win your Give-a-way too....and I am a new Subsciber...found you thru this Hop πŸ˜€

12. Beth T.

I like your bag--very stylish! Remember back in the '80's, when diaper bags all looked as if they had been picked out for a mother who was in grade school herself? So childish and girly? I much prefer your approach. And if you don't remember the '80's as clearly as I do, I've simply dated myself. πŸ™‚

1. Post author

LOL Beth! My diaper bags were from the 70's - hand made out of old denim jeans - so NOW who's dating herself. When I designed this bag, I did so with the future in mind! Baby's grow up, but this bag can be used for anything!

13. Connie Cain

Love, love, love the diaper bag!! We have got new great-grands, grands and great nieces and nephews coming this year. These would make such a nice gift for the new Moms. πŸ™‚
    craftyccain@gmail.com
    PS I gladly subscribed via e-mail.

14. Rebecca

I'm in love with batiks!! so of course love the bag and the fabrics. I'm a new subscriber. Happy New Year sewing to you.....

15. Coastal Mist is a gorgeous collection of color! I love the bag you made, it has so many possibilities. I am a new subscriber to your blog. Now to go browse.

16. what a great bag. wish i had one of these for my babies (my baby is turning 3 soon), but looks like an awesome bag for lots of things!
    i'm a new subscriber! i love IB!
    reillyr2(at)hotmail(dot)